What Do I Do At University?


As I started this blog as a student I thought I should share what I actually do currently. 

I am in my first year of university studying Fashion Design with Garment Technology. I have always been interested in design and technology and I have gone through many different hobbies including jewellery making, cross stitch, paper craft and now dressmaking. When people hear Fashion Design, they expect that you want to be a designer, but I'm much more interested in the manufacturing side and actually have little interest in designing and current trends. When I go shopping, I often look closely at how something is made and try to work out what techniques I would need to use in order to create that shape or effect. One of my goals is to show people how important the technical and manufacturing side of fashion is as too many people think it's a glamorous industry where you can become a rich and famous fashion designer.

My first project was to create a classic shirt. We were given four concept images from where we had to take shapes, colour and inspiration from. As I'm not so into designing, I found it difficult to gain ideas from the images so I tried looking at the overall subject of the images rather than pick obvious ideas directly from them.

This is my final garment that I produced from start to finish:



I am a terrible model


And completely unprofessional!


I hope you found this post interesting as I wish to use this blog to share what I enjoy doing. Hopefully you have got to know me a little bit better!

Mimi x

No comments:

Post a Comment